Looking for a recipe to prepare on a rainy night? Bring on the heat with this Bicol Express! It’s a delicious gata recipe with coconut cream, chilies, vegetables, and pork that can change the way you love spicy food.
What makes the Bicol Express recipe spicy?
Those from Bicol love the siling labuyo, or bird’s eye chili, and it’s apparent in their regional cuisine. It’s used often. If you love heat, you will have your taste buds tested with this hotter-than-hot recipe because the amount of chilies is significant. You will have to make sure to serve it with heaping cups of white rice, but we’re also sure you will love very bite.
Bicol Express Recipe
Bicol Express Ingredients
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 6 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 kilo leftover adobo
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- 1 250-ml can coconut cream
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped into cubes
- 12 to 15 green finger chilies sliced
- 3 to 5 birds eye chili (siling labuyo) sliced
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Sauté garlic, onion, and ginger until fragrant.
- Add leftover adobo and shrimp paste. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add coconut cream and continue simmering for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and chilies. Remove from heat and serve immediately.