When it comes to cake, a chocolate cake is an easy fan favorite flavor, so when a truly decadent and sinfully delicious one presents itself, you know you want to dive right on in and indulge! That’s exactly what you’ll want to do with this chocolate cake recipe hack of the popular Big Al’s Cookie Jar chocolate cake.
What Is Big Al’s-Style Chocolate Cake
This decadent chocolate cake is still one of
our favorite desserts in Manila. This is a classic and moist chocolate cake baked straight into an aluminum pan, topped with a similarly classic chocolate fudge frosting, and served as is. It’s an unassuming cake that catapults you back to your childhood memories of your first bite of chocolate and all the reasons you love the flavor. You just can’t go wrong with this double chocolate combo!
How To Make Big Al’s-Style Chocolate Cake
For this recipe hack of this popular home-baked original, the chocolate cake batter is poured and then baked straight in a disposable aluminum square cake pan. It’s a no-mess technique that makes it easy to buy and gift to friends and family without worrying about a cake box. The batter is a rich but simple chocolate
cake recipe. The most irresistible part of this cake is the decadent pairing of the cake and the frosting on top. This version uses a simple chocolate frosting that uses evaporated milk, cocoa powder, and sugar to create it. It’s made extra glossy (and richer tasting!) from the butter that’s stirred in before it’s poured and spread onto the cake.
How To Serve Big Al’s-Style Chocolate Cake
Since this is baked into an aluminum cake pan, it’s easy to serve! Serve as is in the disposable pan with forks to help you share it with family and friends. Want to make it extra? Grab a container of vanilla ice cream to make it ala mode.
Tips To Make A Delicious Big Al’s-Style Chocolate Cake
Chocolate cake can be tricky to make, especially since it has a tendency to come out dry and not moist. That’s why when it comes to tips for avoiding chocolate cake baking
mistakes, these are the top ones to avoid:
- 1 Use the right kind
of cocoa powder listed in the recipe.
- 2 Test
your baking powder to ensure your cake rises.
- 3 Dust your baking pan with cocoa powder instead of flour.
- 4 Tap the filled cake pans to release
How To Store Big Al’s-Style Chocolate Cake
Storing cake sounds pretty basic: place it in the refrigerator. This is important for this cake since it has a frosting made with milk. Want to try recreating this decadent cake? We hacked this cake recipe so you can make it at home. Watch how easy it is to make:
Drooling over this recipe? Here it is:
Big Al’s-Style Chocolate Cake Recipe
Big Al's-Style Chocolate Cake Recipe
Big Al's-Style Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 3/4 Cup All-Purpose Cream
- 1/2 tablespoon Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 large Egg
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Natural Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Natural Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 Cup Evaporated Milk
- 2 tablespoons Salted Butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C.
- To make the cake: In a large liquid measuring jug, make thick homemade buttermilk by whisking cream and vinegar together.
- Once thickened, add oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk together. Set aside.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl using a strainer. Stir in sugar and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in buttermilk mixture. Mix the two mixtures together until well blended.
- Pour into an 8x8 inch (20x20 cm) aluminum baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes. (Use a toothpick to test the cake's doneness.) Remove from the oven and cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the chocolate fudge frosting: Combine evaporated milk, sugar, and cocoa powder. Cook over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat. Add butter, and stir until melted and smooth. Let cool before pouring onto the cooled cake. Spread frosting over the cake. Serve with forks.