Homemade cloud-like buns are oh-so good! This bola-bola siopao recipe is easy to make and takes up very little time to prepare. With a pork and shiitake mushroom mixture, it’s sure to satisfy your cravings for a more hearty merienda. Want to sneak in more protein to your diet? Add a few hard boiled eggs into the mixture to make it extra nutritious! Here’s a tip: Using shortening in your dough makes it fluffier in texture.
- 2 1/2 cups pork use ground pork
- 1/2 Cup fresh shiitake mushrooms chopped
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 piece Egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- chicken powder to taste
- 4 cups all-purpose flour plus 1 cup for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Instant yeast
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 1/4 Cup water
- 2 tablespoons Shortening
- Make the bola-bola filling: Mix together ground pork, shiitake mushroom, light soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, egg, cornstarch in a bowl. Season to taste. Set aside in the chiller until ready to use.
- Make the dough: Whisk together all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, instant yeast, and sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in lukewarm water. Add shortening. Mix with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together, but is not yet smooth (this is also known as the shaggy dough stage).
- Remove dough from bowl and transfer to a clean work surface dusted with 1 cup flour. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic, about 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl. Cover with a damp piece of cloth and let rest for 30 to 40 minutes or until double in size.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces and form into bowls. Using your palm, flatten each into a 5-inch circle. Fill each dough circle with a spoonful of bola-bola filling. Seal by forming into a ball. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients. Make pleats on top of the buns, if desired.
- Place buns in a steamer lined with parchment paper, leaving spaces in between each bun. Let buns rise, covered with a thin piece of cloth, for 30 to 40 minutes or until double in size.
- Steam over high heat for 18 to 20 minutes or until puffed and cooked.