This brined and baked pork belly is moist, and since it’s boneless, is easier to eat. Look at that crispy skin, too!
Boneless Lechon Recipe
Boneless Lechon Ingredients
- 1 Cup Salt
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper coarsely ground
- 4 cups cold water divided
- 1 2 2/3 kilo whole pork belly bones removed
- lechon sauce to serve
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add salt, sugar, pepper, to 1 cup water. Stir to dissolve the salt and sugar. Once dissolved, remove from heat and pour into a container (with a lid) that can hold the pork belly. Add remaining cold water. Set aside to cool completely.
- Once cooled, place pork belly into the brine, ensuring that it’s fully submerged. Cover and refrigerate at least 24 hours, up to 72 hours (3 days).
- Preheat oven to 350?F.
- Remove pork from brine, and place on a roasting pan. Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 3 hours or until the skin is crispy and the meat browned.
- Remove from oven, and let rest 10 minutes before carving with a sharp knife. Serve while hot with lechon sauce on the side, if desired. Recipe orginally published in the December 2015 issue of Good Housekeeping Philippines