Take the Asian route with a fork-tender, Southeast Asian-inspired stew. Serve papaya salad or steamed rice on the side to complete your meal.
Braised Beef Shanks Recipe
Braised Beef Shanks Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 kilo Beef
- 2 tablespoons Garlic minced
- 1/2 Cup white onion chopped
- 4 pieces star anise
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 1/4 Cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 fresh or rehydrated dried fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced in hald
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1 bundle Bok Choy (Chinese leafy cabbage) leaves separted and blanched until tender
- Heat oil in a large frying pan until almost smoking. Sear beef pieces in batches until surface is brown. Set aside.
- Place seared beef and remaining ingredients except for mushrooms, cornstarch, and bok choy in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Add enough water to cover meat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. Cover partially and simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until meat is fork-tender. Add mushrooms 30 minutes before stew is done.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Discard star anise, cinnamon, and bay leaves. Add dissolved cornstarch and mix to thicken sauce. Add bok choy. Serve hot.