These butterscotch bars are sweet and nutty. Remember to use brown sugar or muscovado sugar to get that earthy toffee flavor. We’re huge fans of the sweet-salty flavor combination! The duo makes an appearance in these nutty bars.
Butterscotch Bars Recipe
Butterscotch Bars Ingredients
- 1/2 Cup Butter melted
- 1 Cup light brown sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup butterscotch chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 1/2 Cup salted pretzels broken
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a 1-inch overhang for easy lifting.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix butter and brown sugar on medium speed until smooth.
- Add egg, vanilla, and salt; mix for 30 seconds or until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Turn speed to low then add flour; mix just until combined.
- Fold in butterscotch chips, walnuts, and pretzels, reserving a third of each for topping.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle reserved toppings; press down slightly. Bake for 10 to 15 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let cool in pan before slicing.