Literally, cheese and pepper, this is a grown-up version of the mac and cheese. It’s a simple pasta recipe that even novice cooks can whip up in a jiffy!
Cacio e Pepe Recipe
Cacio e Pepe Ingredients
- 250 Grams linguine noodles
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 3/4 Cup Grana Padano grated
- 1/3 Cup Pecorino Romano cheese grated
- In a pot over medium heat, bring water to a boil. Season heavily with salt. Cook pasta for 2 minutes less than instructions on package. Set aside some of the pasta water.
- While the pasta cooks, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter with the pepper in a sauté pan over medium heat until pepper is slightly toasted.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the pasta water and bring to a simmer.
- Add the undercooked pasta to the simmering mixture, and add the remaining butter and grated Grana Padano.
- Using tongs, toss the pasta in the sauce until the cheese is fully melted and the sauce has emulsified. If the sauce is still too wet, continue simmering until the sauce is thick enough to cling to the noodles. Noodles should finish cooking in the sauté pan.
- Once done, remove pan from heat and add the Pecorino. Toss to incorporate. Finish with more freshly cracked black pepper, if desired.