Aside from serving carne asada over rice, try it in tacos or sandwiches. Use store-bought cooked pork belly to skip on prep time for tenderizing.
Carne Asada Recipe
Carne Asada Ingredients
- 1/2 kilo store-bought roasted pork belly slab (liempo)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 Cup white onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 Cup fresh orange juice
- orange zest
- lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 4 banana (saba variety), sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium white onion sliced thinly
- 3 cups cabbage shredded
- 1 red bell pepper cored and sliced into strips
- white rice to serve
- Remove crispy skin from pork. Break skin into 4 pieces and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add onions and garlic; sauté until fragrant. Add cumin, orange juice and zest, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Mix for 1 minute.
- Add 5 cups water and bring to a boil. Add pork belly slab. Lower heat and simmer until liquid has reduced by ¼. Slice pork and set aside.
- Make the sweetened bananas: Roll bananas in sugar. Heat oil in a frying pan. Fry bananas until golden. Set aside.
- Make the sautéed vegetables: Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add onions, cabbage, and bell peppers. Sauté for 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve pork, bananas, and vegetables on top of rice.