This recipe uses a mix of fresh ube and ready-made ube halaya, and this play on the classic kakanin is completed by macapuno strips and a crunchy cheesy topping. Remember to bake your cassava cake in the oven to achieve that nice golden brown crust!
Cheese and Ube Cassava Cake Recipe
Cheese and Ube Cassava Cake Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups cassava grated
- 1 1/2 cups Ube grated
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 2 large Egg slightly beaten
- 1/4 Cup Butter melted
- 1/2 Cup condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (gata)
- 1/2 Cup macapuno strips
- banana leaf for lining baking pans
- 1/4 Cup ube halaya jam
- 1 300-ml can condensed milk
- 1/3 Cup coconut cream (kakang gata)
- 3 Egg yolks only
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 Cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 Cup quick- melting cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine cassava, ube, and sugar in a mixing bowl; mix well.
- Mix eggs, butter, condensed milk, and coconut milk in a measuring glass until well combined. pour over cassava mixture and mix well.
- Add macapuno. Pour mixture into a banana leaf-lined 9-inch round pan. Dot ube halaya on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until top is slightly firm.
- Make the topping: mix condensed milk, coconut cream, egg yolks, and vanilla in a small saucepan. Cook over very low heat until thick and creamy, stirring constantly to avoid overcooking the eggs.
- Pour topping over baked ube-cassava cake. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and topping turns golden brown.