Sweet and salty, this rustic, show-stopping pie is sure to impress. You don’t even need a pie plate to whip it up!
Cheddar-Crusted Apple Pie Recipe
Cheddar-Crusted Apple Pie Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 Cup unsalted butter chilled and cubed, plus extra to grease
- 1 Cup cheddar cheese grated, plus more to garnish
- 1/4 to 1/2 Cup water (ice-cold), or more as needed
- 3 Fuji apples cored and sliced into wedges
- 1 Granny Smith apple cored and sliced into wedges
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 Egg mixed with 1 tablespoons water for egg wash
- confectioners sugar to dust
- whipped cream to serve (optional)
- Make the crust: Mix flour and sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the center. Cut in butter using 2 forks or a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse sand. Add cheese and water. Mix until dough comes together. If too dry, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make the filling: Toss together all ingredients until apples are well coated. Place mixture on the center of the crust. Fold up sides of crust to enclose filling. Brush crust with egg wash. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar and sprinkle with grated cheese on top. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream on the side, if desired.