Cheese and beef is a delicious combo. Here, we take a simple beef empanada recipe and upgraded its flavor to create a delicious and cheesy version that’s a tasty snack for any time of the day. This cheesy beef empanada will be the snacks you make for any outing!
We added more flavor to Yummy.ph’s classic empanada dough recipe with a little ground pepper. It’s optional but we think you’d be surprised how tasty a simple addition can make!
Cheesy Beef Empanada Recipe
Cheesy Beef Empanada Ingredients
- 2 batches empanada dough Chilled
- 1 medium red onion peeled, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic peeled, chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 200 Grams Ground beef
- 1 180-gram can corned beef
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeded, chopped small
- 1 medium green bell pepper seeded, chopped small
- 1 165-gram block quickmelt cheese grated large, chilled
- 1 Small Egg beaten for egg wash
- Make the crust: use this empanada dough recipe and add 1/4 ground black pepper to the flour mixture if desired. Make two batches. Wrap each ball with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Make the beef filling: In a large pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, garlic, and then tomatoes and saute each until just softened. Add ground beef and crumble into a single layer. Sear. Crumble and cook again until no longer pink.
- Add corned beef and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook until almost dry. Stir in bell peppers, and remove from heat. Let cool completely. Once cooled, stir in grated cheese. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, form the empanadas: On a lightly floured countertop, roll one batch of the empanada dough until 1/8 inch thick using a rolling pin. Cut out circles. Fill each circle with beef filling. Seal closed with egg wash. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Chill until ready to cook.
- When ready to cook. Heat enough oil in a deep pan over medium heat for deep frying. Slide empanadas into the hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Fry each empanada until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve while hot.