Embutido has never been this good. Our favorite thing about it is, you can make a huge batch to freeze. Whenever you’re hungry, you can just take one out, defrost and then either microwave or fry to reheat! Unlike any other embutido though, this one is much creamier with some parts of it deliciously melting in your mouth. It’s all thanks to powdered milk, a secret ingredient in this heirloom recipe.
Cheesy Embutido Recipe
Cheesy Embutido Ingredients
- 4 pieces jumbo hotdog
- 1 kilo ground pork
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 250 Grams sweet ham cut into small squares
- 2 medium red bell peppers minced
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 5 tablespoons raisins
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 5 medium red onions minced
- 1/2 Cup corn starch
- 1/2 Cup powdered milk
- 2 165-gram pack Processed Cheese cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 8 large eggs
- Soak hotdogs in hot water until the water cools. (This is will prevent the red food coloring from staining the embutido). Drain, slice hotdogs, and transfer into a large bowl. Add lean ground pork, salt, pepper, sugar, sweet ham, red bell pepper, pickle relish, raisins, carrots, onions, cornstarch, powdered milk and cheese, and thoroughly mix with a spatula or clean hands. Once it’s mixed well, add eggs. Mix together well.
- Preheat your steamer on high heat. Meanwhile, on an aluminum foil cut into 10x12 inches, place one cup of the embutido mixture at the center. Spread to an even log, leaving 2 inches on both ends, and roll tightly with the aluminum foil. Twist the ends to seal. Repeat until all the mixture has been turned into rolls.
- Once the steamer’s water is boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and then place all your prepared embutido rolls in the steamer basket. Cover and let cook for 30 minutes. Flip the embutido on its other side and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the embutido from heat. On a tray, open the aluminum foil to cool the embutido to room temperature. Once cool, refrigerate. To store longer, you may freeze them up to a month. When ready to serve, serve as is, cold, reheat in the steamer for 5 minutes, or quickly slice and fry before serving. Serve with tomato ketchup.