This local chicken dish is sure to be an easy family favorite. It’s loaded with whole chicken pieces, big chunks of potatoes and carrots, and simmered in a flavorful tomato sauce.
How do you make afritada delicious?
Two things about the afritada recipe make it irresistible: it’s a stew and it’s made with chicken. Because it’s a stew, you know the dish has been simmered for some time so it has had time to develop its flavors and become even more flavorful. Tomatoes are fantastic when it has had time to fully combine with other ingredients.
The chicken pieces in the afritada are kept whole, meaning each piece is on the bone and will also contribute to the overall flavor of the dish. The result is an aromatic, chicken and tomato stew made heartier with vegetables and tastier with time.
Chicken Afritada Recipe
Chicken Afritada Ingredients
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 kilo Chicken cut into serving pieces
- 1 pack (200-gram) Tomato sauce
- 1 Cup water
- 1 large Potatoes quartered
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- Salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Saute the onion and garlic in a preheated pan with cooking oil.
- Stir in the chicken until the color turns light brown.
- Pour-in tomato sauce and water then simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add the potato and carrots then cook for 7 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Put-in the bell pepper slices. Season with salt, sugar, and ground black pepper then cook for a few minutes. Serve hot.