Meatloaf is one of the best comfort food meals out there. It’s simple and easy to put together, and not a lot of effort is required when it comes to cooking it. Try using a mix of beef and leaner meat, like chicken, turkey, or lamb (which is a great low-fat substitute), or use grassfed beef, which is naturally lean beef.
Chicken and Beef Meatloaf Recipe
Nothing beats homemade meatloaf!
Chicken and Beef Meatloaf Ingredients
- 1 Cup oatmeal quick-cooking
- 1 400-gram can button mushrooms drained
- 1 large carrot peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 Cup frozen green peas thawed
- 1/2 kilo chicken breast fillets ground
- 1/2 kilo ground beef round
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon mustard plus more to serve
- 2 tablespoons muscovado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350?F. Oil the inside of a loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a food processor, process the oats until finely ground. Dump into a large bowl. Next, process mushrooms until finely chopped. Transfer to the bowl with the oats. Then finely chop the carrot. Transfer to the bowl with the oats. Add peas, ground chicken, ground beef, salt, ground pepper, and egg whites. Mix thoroughly.
- Cook a small ball of the meatloaf mixture to test for seasoning, and season as needed.
- Transfer meat into the prepared loaf pan by the scoop to ensure no air pockets are in the meatloaf. Tap gently on the counter to release any air pockets that have formed. Using a kitchen brush, brush the mustard over the top of the meatloaf. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in the oven until cooked through, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and let rest for 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Recipe orginally published in the January-Februrary 2016 issue of Good Housekeeping Philippines.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW