A normal chicken cordon bleu is stuffed with ham and cheese. This one gets a super creamy and cheesy mushroom stuffing instead with a mushroom sauce that you can pour on the chicken and the rice, too.
Want to level-up this recipe even more? Give it an awesome crunch by rolling the chicken not just in flour, but also in a beaten egg, then in crunchy panko breadcrumbs before frying.
Chicken Mushroom Cordon Bleu Recipe
This rolled chicken fillet is stuffed with creamy mushrooms!
Chicken Mushroom Cordon Bleu Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1/2 Cup sliced mushrooms drained
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 250-ml pack All-purpose cream
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup quick-melting cheese grated
- 4 pieces chicken breast fillets skins removed
- 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Cup dry breadcrumbs finely crushed
- 1 teaspoon fried chicken seasoning
- Salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- To make the filling and sauce, melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add then saute mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the mushrooms are lightly toasted in the butter. Sprinkle in flour and stir to coat. Add and blend in cream. Cook until thickened.
- Divide the mixture in two and transfer half into a bowl. Cover the bowl and set aside to chill. Once chilled, add and mix grated cheese into the cooled mushroom mixture in the bowl to make the filling. In the remaining mixture in the pan, thin down the mixture with water to make the sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
- To prepare the chicken rolls, place one chicken fillet on a chopping board and cover it with plastic. Gently pound the fillet until flattened evenly, around 1/4 inch, taking care not to create holes in the meat. Remove the plastic and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Repeat with remaining chicken fillets.
- To make the chicken rolls, lay one flattened chicken fillet on the chopping board. Scoop the filling onto the short side of the chicken. Roll with the filling inside and tuck the ends in then set aside. Repeat with remaining chicken fillets and filling.
- When ready to cook, combine flour, breadcrumbs, fried chicken seasoning, and salt and pepper on a plate. Whisk well. Roll the chicken rolls in the flour mixture and set aside.
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan over medium heat for deep frying. Once hot, place chicken rolls in the hot oil. Fry, turning once, until golden brown on all sides. Remove from heat and drain on a rack. Serve while hot with the warmed mushroom sauce.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW