This easy chicken soup recipe is comfort food on any given day. Carrots and celery add crunch to this classic chicken soup.
Chicken Sopas (Chicken Soup) Recipe
Chicken Sopas (Chicken Soup) Ingredients
- 1 Cup elbow macaroni
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 kilo Chicken (use fillet), cut into cubes
- 1 medium onion peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 4 cloves Garlic peeled and minced
- 2 pieces bay leaf
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrot peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 can evaporated milk (around 12 ounces)
- In a pot over medium heat, cook macaroni in about 5 cups of salted boiling water for about 7 to 8 minutes or until firm to bite. Remove from pot, rinse and drain well. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine chicken, quartered onions, peppercorns, 2 cloves of the garlic, bay leaves and about 10 cups water. Bring to a boil, skimming scum that may float on top. Once the broth clears, lower heat and cover.
Continue to cook for about 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and fork-tender. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken from the broth. Set aside chicken to cool. Once the chicken is cool to the touch, cut it into cubes.
- In another pot over medium heat, add butter. When it begins to melt, add the chopped onions and the remaining 2 cloves of garlic. Cook, stirring regularly, until limp. Add carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth used to cook the chicken and bring to a boil. Add pasta and chicken. Add evaporated milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Lower heat and continue to cook for about 7 to 8 minutes or until heated through.