Transport your taste buds to India with this dish. Serve it with warm naan or the buttered rice pilaf.
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Chicken Tikka Masala Ingredients
- 1/4 Cup Garlic
- 1/4 Cup ginger peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 500 Grams Chicken (use skinless chicken thigh or breast fillets), sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 Cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (available at Assad Mini Mart)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- black pepper to taste
- chili flakes to taste (optional)
- 5 cups basmati rice
- cilantro (wansoy) for garnish
- Make the ginger-garlic paste: Using a mortar and pestle, pound garlic, ginger, and oil to a paste. (You can also use a blender or food processor.) Set aside.
- Make the chicken: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Make the tikka masala sauce: Heat oil in a large wok or casserole pot. Melt butter. Add remaining ginger-garlic paste; sauté until fragrant. Add tomato paste; cook for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes; sauté over medium-low heat until soft and tender.
- Add garam masala and paprika; cook over low heat for 30 seconds. Add 11/2 cups water; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until thick.
- Preheat a charcoal grill or grill pan. Remove chicken from marinade. Lightly brush with oil. Grill over medium-high heat until charred but only partially cooked, about 2 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- Once tikka masala sauce has thickened, transfer to a blender or food processor; purée until smooth. Return to pot; bring to a boil. Add chicken. Turn down heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add cream; cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes, if using. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Divide rice among 4 bowls. Top with chicken tikka masala and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot.