This easy chili con carne recipe comes from the parents of Yummy.ph’s assistant food editor, Cat Altomonte.
“My mom and dad make this for us all the time. We usually just grab some bowls and spoon heaps of chili con carne over rice, straight from the pot!”
Serve this chili con carne with cheese, sour cream, chopped onions, and lettuce. You can have this beef dish with rice, tortilla chips, or hotdog sandwiches.
Chili Con Carne Recipe
Serve this chili con carne over rice or with crunchy tortilla chips.
Chili Con Carne Ingredients
- 300 Grams dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight, or canned red kidney beands, drained
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 medium white onion chopped finely
- 2 large stalks celery chopped finely
- 1 medium carrot chopped finely
- 1 kilo Ground beef
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 250 Grams Tomato sauce
- grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, nacho chips, shredded romaine lettuce, chopped white onions to serve
- Boil soaked dried beans in salted water until soft, about 2 hours or until tender. (Alternatively, you can cook the beans in a pressure cooker for 45 minutes.) Drain and set aside. (Skip this step if using canned beans.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot. Sauté garlic until fragrant and light brown. Add onions; cook until translucent, about 1 minute. Add celery and carrots; cook until tender, about 1 minute. Set vegetables aside.
- In the same pot, heat the rest of the oil over high heat. Add beef; cook until brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the vegetables to the pot and mix until well incorporated. Season with cumin, chili powder, paprika, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add ¹?³ cup water, stir, and simmer for 1 hour. If the beef is too dry, keep adding water once in a while until desired consistency is achieved.
- Add tomato sauce and cooked beans. Simmer for 1½ hours. Taste then adjust seasoning.
- Top chili con carne with cheese and drizzle with sour cream. Serve with nacho chips, lettuce, and onions.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW