There’s nothing more comforting than a piping hot bowl of congee. Tweak the recipe by serving it with different toppings like Chinese sausage or crispy wonton strips.
There's nothing more comforting than a piping hot bowl of congee.
- 1 whole Chicken about 1 kilo
- 1 Cup glutinous rice
- 1 Cup clam stock
- 1 Cup water as needed
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce (patis) (patis)
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 thumb- size ginger cut into strips
- century egg
- garlic chips
- Lobster Balls
- spring onions chopped
- Pickled Vegetables (Atsara) to serve
- Make the chicken stock: Cook chicken in 5 to 6 cups water on a slow simmer. Remove chicken, shred flesh, and reserve stock. Season stock with a little fish sauce and sesame oil; set both chicken meat and stock aside.
- Make the congee: Wash glutinous rice and place in a heavy-bottomed casserole or stockpot. Add clam stock and 3 cups chicken stock; bring to a boil then lower heat to a slow simmer. Stir every few minutes to ensure that no grains stick to the base of the pot. Cook for about 30 minutes until rice begins to look puffy. Add water as needed to get the right consistency
- Add fish sauce, sesame oil, and ginger. Serve immediately with toppings of choice.Other congee recipes: Tilapia in Rice, Congee-style, Chicken Adobo Congee, Tagalog-style Superior Congee
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW