This soup gets its creaminess not from dairy-based cream (which clogs lungs and is high in cholesterol) but from coconut milk. Calamansi juice cuts the richness and rounds out the flavors in this dish. Simple, easy-to-find ingredients are the backbone of this soup recipe, but they come together wonderfully in a flavorful soup.
Cream of Squash Soup Recipe
Cream of Squash Soup Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Cup white onion diced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons ginger minced or coarsely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups squash (kalabasa) peeled and diced
- 2 cups Root Vegetables peeled and diced
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups water plus more as needed
- 1 Cup coconut milk (gata) plus more to serve
- 2 teaspoons Calamansi Juice
- chili powder to serve (optional)
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Sauté onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and pepper for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add squash, root vegetables, water, and more salt. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until vegetables are fork-tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and purée until smooth.
- Return mixture to the pot and stir in coconut milk. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add water if soup is too thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in calamansi juice. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with chili powder, if desired, and coconut milk. Serve with toasted bread slices, if desired.