What Is Creamy Chicken Bacon Roll?
Level up your plain chicken fillet recipe with this delicious version that rivals these easy chicken relleno rolls. These are bacon-wrapped chicken fillets with an incredible creamy sauce made with evaporated milk, garlic, and herbs.
Table of Contents
How to Serve Creamy Chicken Bacon Roll
The sauce that’s these chicken rolls are swimming in is all you need to serve it. However, you can do other ways to enjoy this dish:
Serve the sauce on the side: You may want to serve the sauce on the side, especially if you are serving this at a table that has other dishes, too. Besides, if anyone loves this super saucy, they can add as much or as little sauce as they prefer.
Leave it whole: Instead of slicing these and then plating them, leave them whole on the dish morcon-style so that it’s easier to pour over the sauce and cover each slice.
How To Cook Creamy Chicken Bacon Roll
The chicken is the important part of this recipe so it needs to be tender and delicious after cooking. To ensure their juiciness, the chicken fillets are brined which includes cracked peppercorns and the herb sage.
The chicken fillets are then wrapped in bacon and cooked in a little oil and water, covered until cooked through.
The sauce is an easy pan sauce that’s cooked in the same pan that you used to cook the chicken and bacon. You’ll find it has the same flavors — sage and garlic — with thyme to create an addictive sauce.
Slice the chicken roll, plate it, and serve with the sauce either on the side or in a pool in the dish before plating the chicken slices.
Tips To Make Easy Creamy Chicken Bacon Roll
1 Roast the rolls.
You can roast the chicken in the oven instead of cooking them in a frying pan with water. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C and roast the rolls until the bacon and chicken are cooked through, about 30 minutes.
2 Use ham.
Bacon is the pork component of this dish but if you don’t have bacon, slices of ham would be an excellent substitute. Ham will be thicker than bacon but it’s thin enough that it can also wrap around the chicken and it also has similar flavors as well.
3 Use toothpicks as needed.
If you find that you’re having problems keeping the bacon (or the ham) sticking to the chicken, turn to toothpicks. Use them to secure the ends of the bacon to the chicken. Remove them right before slicing and serving.
4 Use pork tenderloin.
In case you do not want to use chicken, you can swap out the chicken for a pork tenderloin. What’s wonderful about this swap is that pork tenderloin stays tender after being cooked through for a short time.
Creamy Chicken Bacon Roll Storage Tips
1 Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
The chicken and bacon roll will keep in your refrigerator after cooking for up to five days, wrapped in plastic wrap or foil and in a sealed container. Keep the sauce stored separately from the chicken.
2 You can freeze before and after cooking the chicken bacon roll.
This is easy to make ahead of time and you can assemble the chicken and bacon roll and freeze it before or after it’s been cooked. It’s easy to reheat if you store it after cooking but it can also be stored before cooking since you can thaw them.
Creamy Chicken Bacon Roll Recipe
- 1 tablespoon rock salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- 2 cups water
- 4 pieces chicken breast fillet
- 8 slices bacon
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon ground sage
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon whole pink peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 250 ml evaporated milk
- ¼ cup water
- Salt to taste
- ground white pepper to taste
- Herbs for garnish
- Mix all the ingredients for the brine (rock salt, pepper, sage, and water), and let the chicken soak in the refrigeterator for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Pat the chicken fillets dry and cut fillets in half lengthwise. Flip the other half of the fillet vertically for a more uniform width.
- Wrap two bacon slices around the chicken, and place it seam side down on a non-stick frying pan. Make sure your pan is large enough to fit all four pieces.
- Pour the water into the pan and cover with a lid. Cook on medium heat for 12 minutes.
- Remove the cover and cook for about 1-2 minutes per side on high heat, or until all the water has evaporated, and the bacon has turned slightly brown on all sides. Take the chicken out and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the butter. Add the garlic, sage, thyme, and pink peppercorns, and cook for about 3 minutes. on medium low heat or until fragrant.
- Add the flour and stir. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Whisk in the evaporated milk until the sauce thickens. Add the water gradually and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Slice the chicken into 1-inch thick rolls, then top with the sauce. Sprinkle some fresh herbs on top as a garnish.