Crispy pata is even better with sawsawan, or dipping sauces! When using this recipe, save time by cooking two pork legs at the same time. This way, one is always ready in the freezer for deep frying.
Crispy Pata with Sauce Recipe
Crispy Pata with Sauce Ingredients
- 1 1/2 kilos pork pata whole
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 1 medium red onion peeled, quartered
- water as needed
- 1 1/2 liters Oil for deep frying, or as needed
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Place pata in a large pressure cooker. Cover with enough water to cover about an inch over the meat. Add peppercorns, salt, and onion. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cover, then lock lid. Lower to a simmer. Pressure-cook about 40 minutes. Release pressure before opening lid. Test for tenderness.
- Remove pata from the liquid. Discard liquid, or reserve for another use. Wrap pata in foil, then freeze overnight.
- When ready to cook, remove pata from freezer. Remove foil. Heat oil in a deep pot over medium heat. Using large tongs, lower pata slowly in the hot oil. Let fry until browned and crispy. Flip, and cook until both sides are equally browned and crispy. Drain on paper towels. Serve with dips.
- Make the classic dipping sauce: Mix soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar in bowl until dissolved. Stir in 1 small onion, peeled, chopped. Recipe originally published in the April 2016 issue of Good Housekeeping.