Pork belly is a relatively cheap cut in the market. However, this fatty meat shouldn’t be underestimated. Good on its own, this versatile roast pork belly recipe pairs well with just about any type of cuisine. Its thick and juicy meat packs in a flavorful punch, making it the perfect star of your weekend lunch spread. All you need is a handful of herbs and spices to tweak its flavor profile.
Crispy Roast Pork Belly Recipe
Crispy Roast Pork Belly Ingredients
- 3 kilo slab pork face use boneless pork belly
- 1 medium red onion quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 peppercorns crushed
- 5 liters pork stock or water
- Place pork to fit snugly in a large pot. Add onions, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Cover with stock or water. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 1 hour. Drain and let pork rest for 1 to 2 hours.
- Prick skin all over with a fork or metal skewer. Wipe excess oil from the surface.
- Place pork on a baking dish. If desired, rub with chosen spices and flavorings, cover with plastic wrap, and marinate in the refrigerator overnight. You can also proceed to roast the pork as is.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Roast pork in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Lower heat to 375ºF and continue cooking for 3 hours. The pork is done when the skin is golden and has a hollow sound when tapped. Let pork rest for at least 30 minutes before carving.