Impress guests with a classic tomato-based paella loaded with lobster, crab, and prawns.
Crustacean Paella Recipe
Crustacean Paella Ingredients
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons white onion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 stalks parsley sprigs
- 1/8 Cup Leeks sliced
- 1 (400- to 500-gram) bamboo lobster cleaned
- 2 (200- to 300-gram) lobster cleaned
- 1 (200- to 300-gram) blue crab (alimasag) cleaned
- saffron powder
- 1/4 Cup olive oil divided
- 8 Prawns (Sugpo) cleaned
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Garlic chopped
- 200 Grams tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups paella rice
- parsley sprigs (for garnish), chopped
- Place onion quarter, thyme, rosemary, peppercorns, bay leaf, parsley, leeks, and 4 to 5 liters water in a pot. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer bamboo lobster in broth for 15 to 18 minutes. Simmer slipper lobsters and blue crab in broth for 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside seafood to cool. Take 1 cup stock and mix with saffron. Strain remaining stock and reserve.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a paellera. Sear prawns for 30 seconds on each side. Set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to the pan. Sauté chopped onions, garlic, and tomatoes for 3 minutes or until tomatoes reach a paste-like consistency.
- Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Add 1 cup saffron-infused stock and 2 cups seafood stock. Season with salt and pepper. Distribute rice grains evenly on the surface of the pan. Do not stir.
- Bring to a boil, then cover with foil. Lower heat and simmer for 18 to 20 minutes or until rice is al dente. Add more stock, 1 tablespoon at a time, if rice needs to cook longer.
- Arrange prawns on top of rice, cover with foil, and cook for 2 minutes. Increase heat to high and cook for 30 seconds to form a toasted crust at the bottom. Turn off heat. Arrange seafood on top. Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges. Tip: You can do Step 1 five days in advance, strain, then freeze in a zip-top bag. Thaw and boil before using.