This dairy-free mac and cheese recipe replicates rich, melty cheese with a purée of potatoes, carrots, and cashews.
Dairy-Free Mac and Cheese Recipe
Dairy-Free Mac and Cheese Ingredients
- 5 medium Potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 Small carrot peeled and diced
- 1/2 Cup cashew nuts (use unsalted), raw and lightly toasted
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 2 teaspoons calamansi juice
- 2 teaspoons Korean Brown Miso Paste
- 250 Grams elbow macaroni cooked according to package directions
- 2 medium heads broccoli cut into florets and blanched for 2 minutes
- Bring to a boil potatoes, carrots, nuts, and enough water to cover. Turn heat to medium-low; simmer until vegetables are cooked, about 10 minutes. Reserve 1 cup broth. Drain vegetables; set aside.
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil until slightly brown around the edges, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place cooked potatoes, carrots, cashews, garlic-onion mixture, lemon juice, miso, ¾ cup reserved broth, and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a blender. Process until smooth. If difficult to blend, add more broth by the tablespoon. Adjust lemon juice, miso, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Heat sauce in a pot until simmering. Toss in pasta. Transfer to a serving dish and top with broccoli.