Dan dan noodles are quick to whip up in the kitchen: stir-fried noodles, vegetables, and a hit of pepper make it fun to chow down on, too! Smoked tofu gives this noodle dish a nice flavor profile that goes well with its overall spiciness.
Dan Dan Noodles Recipe
Dan Dan Noodles Ingredients
- 12 dried shiitake mushrooms soaked in warm water for 20 minutes or until softened
- 6 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoons tahini or Chinese sesame paste (available in Asian specialty stores)
- 3 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar or good-quality balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons chili oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sichuan peppercorns
- 3 cups dried Chinese egg noodles cooked according to package directions, 2/3 cup cooking water reserved
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 bunch green onions white and green parts chopped
- 1 Cup tofu smoked, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup peanuts dry-roasted, chopped finely
- Chinese parsley (kinchay) to garnish, optional
- Drain mushrooms and squeeze out excess water; chop finely and set aside.
- Make the sauce: Whisk together all ingredients and ²?³ cup cooking water in a medium bowl.
- Pour half of the sauce over noodles; toss well to coat. Transfer to a platter.
- Heat peanut oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic, ginger, and green onions (white parts); cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and tofu; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in remaining sauce and rice wine. Season with salt.
- Spoon tofu-mushroom mixture over noodles, sprinkle chopped green onions (green parts) and chopped peanuts on top. Garnish with kintsay, if desired.