In this cupcake recipe, the addition of Earl Grey tea to the frosting gives the cupcakes a fresh new twist. It’s a dessert that everyone will enjoy!
Dark Chocolate Cupcake with Caramel Frosting Recipe
Dark Chocolate Cupcake with Caramel Frosting Ingredients
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 1/4 Cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar divided
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 4 large eggs separated
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk divided
- 5 bags Earl Grey tea
- 1/3 Cup sugar
- 1/3 Cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Butter softened
- dark chocolate curls, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 (12-hole) muffin pans with cupcake liners; set aside.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Add ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar and mix well.
- Make a well in the center and add oil, water, and egg yolks. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Beat egg whites, the rest of the sugar, and cream of tartar in a separate bowl. Beat until stiff but not dry.
- Fold half of the egg-white mixture into the egg-yolk mixture. Fold gently until mixture loosens slightly. Add the rest of the egg-white mixture and fold gently until combined.
- Divide mixture equally among muffin cups. Bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs. Remove cupcakes from pans and cool on wire racks before frosting.
- Make the frosting: Heat ½ cup evaporated milk. Steep tea bags in hot milk for 5 minutes. In a double boiler over medium heat, combine infused milk, remaining milk, sugar, and cornstarch. Stir with a wire whisk until thick and creamy. Remove from heat and whisk in butter. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Dip cooled cupcakes in frosting. Cool completely. Garnish with chocolate curls. Serve chilled or at room temperature.