This easy carbonara recipe is one that you should try! It only uses four (4!) ingredients and the resulting dish is cheesy, savory, and just the right amount of creamy. It’s an all-egg, no-cream version that is so good that it’s what you need to satisfy the craving without going overboard.
What is carbonara?
A carbonara is a pasta dish that uses eggs, cheese, and pasta cooking water to create the sauce. The egg-based sauce is actually cooked using the pasta’s heat. It can be seasoned further with cured smoked meat such as bacon or guanciale or prosciutto if you have it.
This version uses easy-to-find bacon, eggs, and cheese plus a little pasta water so you can create that silky sauce to coat your pasta noodles.
Easy Carbonara Recipe
Easy Carbonara Ingredients
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 Cup parmesan cheese grated, more for topping
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper more to taste
- 250 Grams spaghetti
- 1 Cup bacon sliced into strips
- water as needed
- Salt as needed, to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolk, parmesan cheese, and pepper until well combined. Set aside.
- Cook spaghetti in salted boiling water according to package directions.
- While cooking the pasta, place bacon in a large cool pan. Cook over medium-high heat until the fat has been completely rendered, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain off excess fat, leaving bacon in the pan.
- When the pasta has finished cooking, reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Immediately add the pasta while still hot to the cooked bacon in the pan. Mix over medium heat until well combined.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add egg mixture to the hot pasta in the pan. Toss to coat. If the sauce seems too thick, add the reserved pasta water. Serve while still warm topped with more cracked black pepper and parmesan cheese.