This sweet and sour fish recipe is made even more delicious with a fantastic sauce. Vinegar and sugar create the mouth-watering and luscious sauce that coats these fish fillet chunks. This isn’t your typical sweet and sour fish fillet recipe; we think it’s even better than even what you can get at a restaurant.
Easy Sweet and Sour Fish Recipe
Easy Sweet and Sour Fish Ingredients
- 1 Cup Chinese black vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 500 Grams cream dory fish fillets sliced into strips
- 1 large Egg beaten
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour or cornstarch
- 1 medium red onion sliced thinly
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeded, cut into strips
- 1 medium green bell pepper seeded, cut into strips
- Salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying, more for deep frying
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine black vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a boil then simmer, reducing the mixture until it becomes a syrup. Set aside.
- In a bowl, season the fish fillets chunks with salt and ground black pepper. Add the beaten egg and mix. Add in the flour and mix thoroughly. (Dry pockets of flour is okay.)
- In a heavy-duty pot, heat the oil for pan frying. Fry all the fish fillets in batches until cooked through. Drain in a wire-mesh strainer over paper towels.
- In a wok, heat about 2 tablespoons oil. Add and stir fry the onions and bell peppers. Add the cooked fish. Toss to combine. Drizzle in the black vinegar and sugar syrup to the fish. Toss well until the fish is completely covered with the sauce. Serve immediately.