Going meatless? Go with this easy tofu sisig recipe. It’s a healthy alternative to the traditional pork sisig and is still packed with a load of flavor. With basic ingredients such as soy sauce, vinegar, onions, and garlic, this dish is sure to be a quick and easy recipe for the weekend. Add a dash of color to your dish with diced bell peppers and siling labuyo. Here’s a tip: Marinating your tofu for a longer period of time enhances its flavor.
Easy Tofu Sisig Recipe
Easy Tofu Sisig Ingredients
- 2 blocks, around 300 grams each` firm tofu (tokwa) rinsed and patted dry
- 2 onion diced, divided
- 10 cloves Garlic minced, divided
- 1 siling labuyo (bird's eye chili) minced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- vegetable oil as needed
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated or finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cane vinegar
- 1 tablespoon muscovado sugar
- 1 tablespoon Calamansi Juice
- Slice one 300-gram tofu block into 1/4-inch cubes. Place in a bowl and toss with marinade ingredients. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Slice the other 300-gram tofu block into 1/4-inch thick slabs. Rub both sides with the dry rub ingredients. Warm a thin layer of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the dry rubbed tofu slabs until crispy and golden brown on both sides, about 7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined dish; when cool enough to handle, chop into 1/4-inch cubes and set aside.
- Warm another tablespoon of oil in the same frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté 1 diced onion, 5 minced garlic cloves, and the sili labuyo until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the marinated tofu and bell pepper; stir-fry, mixing occasionally, until the tofu browns and and the bell pepper softens, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the remaining 1 onion, 5 garlic cloves, fried tofu, and sauce ingredients. Mix well and serve with sliced calamansi and brown rice.