Light and refreshing, this fish stew is a cross between sinigang and binakol. Make sure to squeeze calamansi into the hot soup for a nice, tangy touch.
Fish Cocido (Fish Stew) Recipe
Fish Cocido (Fish Stew) Ingredients
- 1 liter fresh coconut water (buko juice)
- 2 native tomatoes sliced into quarters
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon sliced
- 1 Cup taro (gabi) sliced into chunks
- 3 to 5 steaks blue marlin or swordfish
- Salt to taste
- 1 Cup sweet potato tops or malunggay leaves
- 2 pieces green finger chili (siling pangsigang)
- calamansi leaves to garnish
- 8 to 10 pieces calamansi sliced in half
- Simmer coconut juice in a pot over medium heat. Add tomatoes, onions, ginger, and taro; simmer for 1 minute.
- Add fish, cover, and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until just cooked. Season with salt.
- Add sweet potato tops and chilies; simmer for 1 minute. Top with calamansi leaves, if desired. Serve hot with calamansi on the side.