Need a fun way to eat vegetables? Frying the radish cakes gives them a nice golden crust that’s a delight to bite into!
Fried Radish Cake Recipe
Fried Radish Cake Ingredients
- 1 500-gram daikon radish or chinese turnip, grated
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 tablespoons dried shrimp (hibe) washed, soaked, and chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 3 to 5 dried Chinese mushrooms washed, soaked, and chopped
- 1 Chinese sausage diced
- 1 green onion chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 1 Cup rice flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 medium Egg beaten
- oyster sauce Optional
- Place grated radish and 1 cup water in a wok or large pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so radish does not brown. (The radish will release some liquid; cook until about ¾ cup liquid is left in the pan.) Pour radish and liquid into a large mixing bowl. Let cool.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in another pan over medium heat. Add dried shrimp, mushrooms, and sausage; cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in green onions. Remove from heat. Let cool.
- Add rice flour, cornstarch, salt, sugar, and pepper to the radish mixture. Mix until well incorporated. Add sausage mixture, making sure to scrape the oil from the pan into the batter. Mix well and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Prepare a steamer over medium-high heat. Grease a 3x5-inch loaf pan with oil.
- Give batter a final stir then pour it into the prepared pan. Place pan in steamer and steam for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool for 30 minutes to allow radish cake to set.
- Loosen sides with a spatula and transfer cake to a cutting board. Dip a sharp knife in water and slice loaf into ½-inch-thick pieces. Chill.
- Heat remaining oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Dip radish cakes in egg then fry on both sides until golden and crispy. Sprinkle with toasted hibe and chopped green onions. Serve with oyster sauce.