‘Tis the season for fruitcake! Here’s a superb tweak on the traditional fruitcake recipe: Use dried local fruits and cut the cake into bite-sized bars.
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Cup dried fruits
- 1 Cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 Cup brown sugar packed
- 2 Egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 Cup nuts (we used walnuts and cashews)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and line a 9x13-inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.?
- Sift together flour, salt, ground cinnamon, and baking powder. Divide in half.
- Dredge dried fruits in half of the flour mixture.
- In a bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Add honey, then stir in remaining flour mixture. Fold in dried fruits and nuts.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool before slicing into bars.Wrapping tip We used dried mangoes, coconut, bananas, and pineapples in this recipe. To give as gifts, first wrap bars in aluminum foil then in colored cellophane.