Ideally, make this salad in the morning if you want to serve it for dinner. The sitting time allows the lemon, oil, herbs and spices to blend into the chickpeas.
- 2 16 oz. cans garbanzo beans
- 1/2 Cup Italian parsley roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves roughly chopped
- 1 clove Garlic crushed and finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- dash Pepper
- dash cumin
- In a colander, pour out the canned chickpeas and rinse quickly with water. Allow the beans to drain completely.
- In a large bowl, mix the chopped parsley, chopped mint, crushed garlic, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. Add the chickpeas and combine well. Sprinkle the mixture with salt, pepper, and cumin, then mix well and taste. Adjust the seasoning but be careful not to oversalt.
- Let the salad sit in the refrigerator until it’s ready to serve. Mix occasionally.Tasting tip For a more complex and savory version, add 1/2 cup of softened bulghur wheat plus a handful of crumbled feta cheese. For a fresher taste, toss in 1/2 cup each of chopped tomatoes and cucumber, and add more lemon juice, olive oil, and salt.