Grilled eggplant adds a smoky flavor to this vegetable dish. Also, remember to add the garlic at the end of cooking. Oftentimes, the flavor of thoroughly cooked garlic gets lost in the stew.
Ginataang Gulay Recipe
Ginataang Gulay Ingredients
- 500 Grams squash (kalabasa) peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes, about 3 cups
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 5 medium eggplant
- 1 Cup red onion diced
- 1 head Garlic sliced, divided
- 3 tablespoons ginger finely chopped
- 2 siling labuyo (birds eye chili)
- 200 Grams yard-long beans (sitaw) sliced into 3-inch pieces, about 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (gata) preferably fresh
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss squash with 1 tablespoon oil. Season with pinches of salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Prick eggplants all over with a fork. Grill over coal or directly on the flames of a gas stove, turning occasionally, until skin turns black. Set aside and let cool. Peel and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat remaining oil in a pot over medium heat. Sauté onions with pinches of salt and pepper until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add half the garlic, ginger, chilies; season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add beans and ¼ cup water, scraping the bottom of the pot. Cover and cook for about 3 minutes or until beans turn vibrant green.
- Add eggplant, squash, coconut milk, and ¼ to ½ cup water. Bring to a simmer and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the rest of the garlic. Serve immediately.