Stewed monggo beans, smoky tinapa, and rich coconut cream—this satisfying Filipino dish is comfort in a bowl!
Guinataang Monggo Guisado Recipe
Guinataang Monggo Guisado Ingredients
- 1 Cup monggo beans washed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Garlic
- 1 native tomato chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon flaked smoked fish (tinapa)
- 1 shrimp bouillon cube
- 1 Cup fresh coconut cream
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Cup malunggay leaves (moringa)
- Fried Pork Belly Slices (Chicharon) Optional
- Place monggo and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for about 40 minutes or until monggo is tender.
- Heat oil in a medium stockpot. Sauté onions until tender. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add tomatoes and sauté until tender. Add tinapa flakes and sauté until fragrant.
- Add boiled monggo, 1 cup water, and bouillon cube. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer for 10 minutes. Add coconut cream and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt.
- Turn off heat and add malunggay leaves. Mix well.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with fried pork belly or chicharon, if desired.