These empanadas make it easier for you to use your leftovers. If you have leftover ham or cheese lying around in your refrigerator, use them as a filling for this well-loved sweet and savory treat!
Ham and Cheese Empanadas Recipe
Make sure that your crust is light and flaky!
Ham and Cheese Empanadas Ingredients
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour more for kneading and rolling
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 Cup Butter cold, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 Cup ice water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 Cup ham chopped
- 1 Cup queso de bola grated finely
- 1/4 Cup Butter melted
- Salt tot aste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Mix flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Using the pulse setting, drop pieces of butter, one at a time, into the flour while pulsing. Continue after all the butter has been added until the mixture looks like large crumbs.
- Pour ice water by the tablespoonful while pulsing to wet the dough. Stop adding water once the dough begins to peel away from the sides of the bowl. Dump mixture onto a floured surface.
- Knead dough until smooth. Form into a flattened ball and cover with plastic wrap. Chill dough for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make the filling: mix cornstarch and milk in a saucepan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place over medium heat, and bring to a boil, whisking to break lumps. Once thickened, remove from heat. Mixture will be thick. Stir in ham and queso de bola. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, and cut into 4 portions. Roll out one portion (keeping remaining dough wrapped and chilled) until 1/8 inch thick using a rolling pin, dusting both surface and pin with flour as needed.
- Cut 5-inch rounds in the dough. Place about a tablespoonful of ham mixture onto the middle of the circle. Fold the dough over the filling, and seal with a fork dipped in flour. Transfer to a baking sheet. Use fork to poke vents in the middle of each pie. Brush dough with melted butter, and place in the oven. Bake until crusts have browned. Serve while warm. Recipe originally published in the December 2015 issue of Good Housekeeping Philippines.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW