Make your classic grilled ham and cheese sandwiches extra fun by serving it with a tomato dipping sauce. We snuck in some good-for-you carrots to sweeten the homemade tomato sauce.
Ham and Cheese Sticks Recipe
Ham and Cheese Sticks Ingredients
- 1/2 Cup Butter softened, divided
- 1 Small red onion peeled, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic peeled, chopped
- 1 250 gram pack sweet tomato sauce
- 1/2 Cup fresh milk
- 8 slices bread crusts removed if desired
- 8 slices Cheese
- 4 slices sweet ham
- Salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a small stockpot over medium heat, melt 2 Tbsp. butter. Sweat onion until translucent, then add garlic and carrot. Cook until softened and aromatic. Add tomato sauce. Stir. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into a blender or mini food processor. Cover; puree until smooth. Return to the pot. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil then simmer until thickened. Set aside.
- Spread butter on both sides of the bread slices. Top 4 bread slices with 1 cheese slice each. Layer with ham then remaining cheese. Top with remaining bread slices.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. Grill sandwiches, pressing down with a spatula, until browned on both sides and cheese is warm enough to melt. Remove from heat, and using a bread knife, slice each sandwich into four. Serve with tomato dip. Recipe originally published in the October 2016 issue of Good Housekeeping.