This herb-crusted roast beef recipe uses a beef short plate cut instead of the usual tenderloin. It is more budget-friendly and just as delicious for weekend roasts.
Herb-Crusted Roast Beef Recipe
Herb-Crusted Roast Beef Ingredients
- 2 1/2 kilos Beef (use whole beef short plate), trimmed of fat and silver skin
- sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns freshly cracker, available at Santis and Marketplace by Rustans
- 6 sprigs thyme leaves chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large carrot sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 white onion quartered
- 3 stalks celery sliced into 2-inch lengths
- 1 Cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 14-ounce can whole button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons All-purpose cream
- Salt to season
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Set aside for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Combine pink peppercorns, thyme, rosemary, and garlic in a bowl.
- Heat a shallow, heavy-bottomed pan or griddle over high heat until almost smoking. Add oil and sear beef on both sides until brown and crusty.
- Remove beef from pan. Spread mustard on top then sprinkle evenly with herb mixture.
- Place carrots, onions, and celery in a roasting pan. Place beef on top of the vegetables. Roast in the oven for 11/2 hours for medium-rare doneness or 31/2 to 41/2 hours for well done, cooking it slowly until tender.
- Remove pan from the oven, transfer meat to a platter, and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Make the mushroom sauce: place roasting pan with vegetables and drippings on the stove over medium-high heat. Deglaze pan with red wine and scrape off the brown bits at the bottom. Let wine reduce to 1/4 its original amount. Strain drippings.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Sprinkle flour and cook for 1 minute. Add drippings and whisk until smooth. Add mushrooms and cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice beef into 1/4-inch-thick pieces and serve with mushroom sauce on the side. Tips: Short plate is a flavorful cut from the cow’s front belly, just below the rib. Choose meat with a rich pink color and creamy, white fat throughout. Before roasting, make sure to trim the excess fat and silver skin covering the meat. Short plate is a tough meat cut, so remember to cook it slowly on low to moderate heat to get tender, tasty, and juicy meat.