Reserve this fish stew recipe for big family dinners: it’s hearty, filling, and delicious.
Italian Fish Stew Recipe
Italian Fish Stew Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white onions chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Garlic chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 Cup carrots diced
- 1/3 Cup celery sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3 Cup white wine (Optional)
- 1 can whole tomatoes (use 800-gram can)
- 1/2 kilo whole lapu-lapu filletted and cut into 2-inch pieces, head reserved
- 1/2 Cup Potatoes diced
- 1 can white beans (use 400-gram can), drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 Cup black olives sliced
- 1 1/2 fish bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Sauté onions, garlic, bay leaf, carrots, and celery for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste; sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in wine, if using, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil again. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add fish head, if desired, and potatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add fish fillets, white beans, capers, and olives; simmer for 5 minutes. Season stew with bouillon cubes, salt, and pepper.
- Turn off heat and gently mix in fresh herbs. Garnish with parsley. Serve hot.