Kesong puti (white cheese) is unaged cheese made from carabao’s milk. It has a soft texture, a slightly salty taste, and is perfect with pandesal. Try this easy recipe at home!
Kesong Puti (White Cheese) Recipe
Kesong Puti (White Cheese) Ingredients
- 4 cups carabaos milk
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup cane vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- banana leaf cut into 12x6-inch pieces and passed over an open flame
- Place milk and salt in a double boiler over medium-low heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring continuously with a sterilized spoon to prevent the mixture from boiling.
- Remove from heat then add vinegar and lemon juice. Allow curds to form, mixing lightly. Allow to cool and set for 1 hour.
- Line a strainer with a piece of cheesecloth, and set strainer over a mixing bowl. Once mixture has cooled, pour into the lined strainer to drain the liquid (whey) from the mixture; discard liquid. The curd is ready to use if you prefer creamy kesong puti. For firmer cheese, place a clean, heavy object (like a small plate) on top of the curds to drain more whey from the mixture.
- Place curds on a banana leaf and fold to wrap. Tie with kitchen twine or a long strip of banana leaf. Place in a zip-top bag or covered container, and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.