Don’t forget to serve this lechon kawali with a tangy dipping sauce on the side! The classic Pinoy pork belly has beautiful layers of alternating fat and meat that makes it flavorful, and a rind that becomes incredibly crispy when fried.
Lechon Kawali Kare-Kare Recipe Posted in: Recipe
Classic Filipino Lechon Kawali Recipe
The classic Pinoy pork belly has beautiful layers of alternating fat and meat that makes it flavorful.
Classic Filipino Lechon Kawali Ingredients
- 2 slabs Pork belly about 1 kg, lechon kawali cut
- 1/4 Cup Salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- water as needed
- Oil for deep-frying
- 1/2 Cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Calamansi Juice
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 medium red onion peeled, chopped
- Place pork in a pressure cooker and pour in enough water to cover. Add salt, peppercorns, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; simmer until tender, about 45 minutes. Remove pork from broth, and set both aside to cool. Chill pork. Reserve stock.
- To cook, heat enough oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot for deep-frying. Using long tongs, place pork into pot; deep fry until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels. Chop intoserving pieces. Serve with sauces and steamed rice.
- Make the dipping sauce: Mix cilantro leaves, soy sauce, calamansi juice, brown sugar, and red onion. Season with pepper to taste. Recipe originally published in the March 2017 issue of Good Housekeeping Philippines.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW