Lechon Kawali Kare-Kare Recipe
What happens when you combine two classic Filipino dishes?
Lechon Kawali Kare-Kare Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1/2 tablespoons Achuete Seeds (annatto seeds)
- 1/3 Cup onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons glutinous rice toasted
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 kilo Pork belly boiled until tender
- Make the kare-kare sauce: Heat oil in a medium saucepan until very hot. Add annatto seeds and turn off fire. Stir until oil becomes red. Strain seeds and pour oil back to the pan. Add onions and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Whisk in peanut butter until sauce becomes smooth. Add ground malagkit rice and whisk until thick. Season with fish sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper. Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the blanched vegetables and mix well.
- Heat oil in a large wok. Deep-fry pork belly until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Place kare-kare sauce and vegetables on a serving platter. Arrange lechon kawali on top. Serve with bagoong.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
CONTINUE READING BELOW