With the simple addition of alugbati, also known as Malabar or Indian spinach, this fragrant stew gets a shot of folic acid, iron, and fiber. Serve it with rice on a cool night for a comforting meal.
Lemongrass Beef Stew Recipe
Lemongrass Beef Stew Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 1-inch piece ginger sliced
- 2 bulbs lemongrass (tanglad) trimmed and pounded
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (luyang dilaw) grated
- 500 Grams Beef (use shin shanks), cubed
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 10 to 12 cups beef stock
- 1 large sweet potato (kamote) peeled and sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 2 finger chilies (siling pang-sigang)
- 1 bundle alugbati (Indian spinach) leaves only, washed and drained
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Sauté onions, ginger, and garlic until fragrant but not browned. Add lemongrass, turmeric, and beef. Season with fish sauce and brown sugar.
- Add stock. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 2½ to 3 hours or until beef is tender.
- Add sweet potatoes and chilies. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked.
- Add alugbati leaves. Cook until wilted. Adjust seasoning with fish sauce and brown sugar. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot.