A sorbet is an icy dessert made with sweetened or flavored water. This sorbet recipe has a mix of sweet mangoes and earthy basil leaves. Try this recipe on a weekend!
Mango-Basil Sorbet Recipe
Mango-Basil Sorbet Ingredients
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- 3 large mangoes ripe, cubed, about 450 grams
- 6 to 8 tablespoons basil syrup (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons fresh calamansi juice
- 1 teaspoon calamansi zest
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves from basil syrup
- 1 tablespoon Calamansi Liqueur (we used Manille Liqueur, optional) or plain vodka (optional)
- Make the basil syrup: Bring sugar and ½ cup water in a saucepot to a boil over medium heat; do not stir. Turn off heat and add basil leaves. Allow to cool then strain. Reserve the basil leaves and set syrup aside
- Purée mangoes, basil syrup, calamansi juice, zest, and salt in a blender. Adjust sweetness with basil syrup to taste. (Note that sweetness will mellow once sorbet is frozen.)
- Mix in basil leaves and liqueur, if using.
- Pour into a freezer-friendly container and freeze until solid, about 4 hours. Break it up with a spoon and purée in a blender until very smooth. Freeze again until ready to serve. Scoop sorbet into ice cream cups.