Mascarpone is one of the easiest cheeses to make. Its subtle flavor makes it a versatile ingredient for both sweet and savory dishes. Pat it on a slice of butter cake and top with sliced strawberries for a quick, no-fuss dessert, or simply add garlic and herbs to transform it into a savory spread.
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 Cup powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Mix heavy cream and powdered milk in a saucepan. Heat mixture over low heat, stirring continuously, until temperature reads 180°F on a candy or digital thermometer. Turn off heat. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Add half of the lemon juice and stir continuously using a whisk or metal spoon. When mixture starts to coagulate, add remaining lemon juice and mix well. Cover bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer mixture into a bowl lined with a clean, damp piece of muslin or cheesecloth. Take the cloth’s edges and twist into a tight ball, removing excess liquid to firm up mixture. Refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer mascarpone into a container and refrigerate until ready to use. Consume within 3 days.