An heirloom recipe from Him Uy De Baron’s great grandmother passed down to his grandmother and to his mother, Mercedita Uy de Baron, who shares this recipe with us. The mother and daughter are featured in the story “Muses of cookery” in the May 2011 issue of Yummy.
Mercedita Uy De Baron's Paksiw Na Pata
Mercedita Uy De Barons Paksiw Na Pata
- 1.8 kilos pork use pork knuckle (front part)
- 100 Grams Banana Blossoms (Puso ng saging)
- 3 heads Garlic pounded with skin
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- 1 Cup Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- banana saba variety, fried (for garnish)
- Mix all ingredients except the pork knuckle in the saucepan until the sugar melts. (This is done to avoid stirring the vinegar on the stovetop.)
- Add pork knuckle and mix. Do not add any water.
- Boil and remove scum, then simmer at very low temperature for 2 hours. Season with salt.
- Serve garnished with fried saba bananas.