This cake roll made of mocha, or chocolate and coffee flavors, is easy to make at home. It’s just time-consuming to create since each step involves a little effort. The process is long but the ingredients used are few and easy to find. Each of the steps you follow will lead you to recreate that classic bakery cake roll that you might be missing.
Mocha Cake Roll Recipe
Mocha Cake Roll Ingredients
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1/4 Cup milk warmed
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3/4 225-gram block unsalted butter Chilled
- 1/2 300-ml cans sweetened condensed milk Chilled
- chocolate chips as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C. Grease and then line with parchment paper a 9 1/2-inch x 13-inch baking sheet. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add eggs and sugar. Whisk until lightened and fluffy, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- In another large bowl, sift cake flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder together to remove lumps. Sprinkle over the whipped eggs and sugar mixture. Fold flour mixture into the egg mixture gently until just blended.
- Dissolve instant coffee in warm milk. (Alternatively, you can use cooled brewed coffee.) Add this to the chocolate cake batter over your spatula then fold until well mixed.
- Pour into the prepared baking sheet, spreading it to the edges as necessary. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the center springs back when lightly pressed.
- Prepare two sheets of parchment paper and another baking sheet or a cooling rack that s larger than the cake. Place one sheet of parchment paper over the cooked, still hot cake and the spare baking sheet. Flip. Remove the parchment paper that lined the cake pan and discard it. Cover with the second parchment paper and flip again. Remove the first parchment paper.
- With a serrated knife, slice at a diagonal one end of the cake. (This will help form the roll.) Using the parchment paper, roll the cake with the parchment paper. Secure the roll and set aside to completely cool.
- Make the coffee condensed milk frosting: Dissolve coffee in water and set aside. In the stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the cold butter until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Add the cold sweetened condensed milk and whisk until combined and the frosting looks light and fluffy. Drizzle in the coffee mixture and whisk again until combined. (If the frosting looks curdled, keep whisking. If the frosting is no longer cold and is pourable, chill the frosting for 10 minutes or until it s chilled again. Whisk until combined again.)
- To make the roll: Unroll the cooled cake. Spread about 3/4 cup coffee frosting onto the unrolled cake. Using the parchment, roll the cake with the coffee frosting into a roll again. Place rolled cake on a serving plate and cover the outside of the cake with more coffee frosting as a crumb coating. Chill.
- Add another layer of frosting and if desired, use a fork to draw lines or comb the frosting as decoration. Transfer any leftover frosting into a piping bag and pipe balls on top. Place a chocolate chip on top of each frosting ball. Slice and serve.