This paella recipe is packed with umami, earthy flavors from four types of mushrooms! Make it vegetarian by doing away with the bacon and using vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
Mushroom and Asparagus Paella Recipe
Mushroom and Asparagus Paella Ingredients
- 1/2 Cup olive oil divided
- 250 Grams bacon (use honeycured bacon), cubed
- 2 clvoes Garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons white onion chopped
- 200 Grams fresh shiitake mushrooms chopped
- 200 Grams Portobello mushrooms chopped
- 200 Grams fresh button mushrooms chopped
- 150 Grams Porcini Mushrooms (use dried mushrooms), rehydrated and sliced (reserve soaking liquid)
- 3 cups Spanish bomba rice
- 5 cups chicken stock plus extra if needed, boiled and kept hot
- 3 teaspoons paella seasoning
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon cube crushed, optional
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon liquid seasoning
- Salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 200 Grams asparagus cut into 2-inch lengths and blanced
- 2 Egg hard-boiled and sliced into rounds
- 1 8-ounce pan pimiento sliced into strips
- 1/4 Cup Cheese truffle-flavored or Parmesan cheese, cut into thin triangles
- 1 lemon sliced into wedges
- parsley leaves chopped, optional
- arugula leaves chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat 6 tablespoons oil in a 14-inch paella pan over medium heat. Fry bacon until golden. Set bacon aside.
- In the same pan, sauté garlic and onions until fragrant and very tender. Add tomatoes and cook until soft.
- In another pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over high heat. Sauté mushrooms in batches, about 5 minutes per batch. Add cooked mushrooms to the paella pan.
- Add rice; mix well. Add stock, porcini soaking liquid, seasonings, and bacon; mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Let paella simmer for 5 minutes. Cover with foil then bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes. Add more stock as needed.
- When rice is almost tender, remove from oven. Let paella rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove foil and top with asparagus, eggs, pimiento, cheese, lemons, parsley, and arugula (if using). Serve hot.