Mushrooms have a meaty texture and are super tasty. You can use them in place of meat whenever you are looking for a lighter option. This taco recipe uses Swiss brown mushrooms, but feel free to use any mushroom of your choice!
Mushroom Soft Tacos Recipe
Mushroom Soft Tacos Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 large white onion sliced into half-moons
- 4 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 500 Grams Swiss brown mushrooms stems trimmed and sliced thickly
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 4 whole-wheat flour tortillas warmed
- sprouts for garnish
- hot sauce to serve (optional)
- 200 Grams cream cheese
- 1 clove Garlic minced finely
- 5 stalks green onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (wansoy) chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley sprigs chopped
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions, stirring occasionally, until soft and caramelized.
- Add garlic and cook until soft and fragrant but not brown. Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring until mushrooms start to release their liquid.
- Add cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper or chili flakes, salt, and pepper; stir to coat mushrooms evenly. Sauté until mushrooms re-absorb liquid.
- Add remaining olive oil and stir just to get the mushrooms slicked and glossy. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the herby cream cheese: Combine all ingredients in a bowl; mix well.
- Assemble the tacos: Spoon 2 tablespoons mushrooms mixture on a warmed tortilla, top with herby cream cheese, and sprinkle generously with sprouts. Drizzle with hot sauce, if desired, and fold over. Repeat with remaining ingredients.